Our areas of expertise include coastal processes, geomorphology, marine and coastal geology, oceanography and engineering.
We take a holistic approach to our coastal projects, considering the various spatial and temporal scales that may influence coastal processes, and understanding that the coastal zone is interlinked with a variety of other receptors and processes including marine and terrestrial flora and fauna, hydrology, and contaminant fate and transport. We have the ability to collect, compile and interpret highly technical information such as metocean measurements, modelling outputs, geology, geomorphology, and sediment characteristics, to meet the specific requirements of our customers.
To provide the very best services, BMT Oceanica also fosters and maintains relationships with academics and trusted collaborators, and actively contributes to conferences, journals, and various societies and associations. At BMT Oceanica, we pride ourselves on providing integrity in our advice, high-quality deliverables, and efficient and effective solutions.
We offer a range of services to a variety of projects, involving ports, harbours, marinas, coastal structures, boat ramps and jetties, maintenance dredging, sand bypassing and shoreline management.
Relevant services and projects
- Marine environmental monitoring and management - BMT Oceanica utilises both internal expertise and collaborators to collect, commission and interpret shoreline surveys, including beach profile surveys, sediment characterisation, natural and anthropogenic shoreline usage patterns, LiDAR and LADS surveys, hydrographic surveys and aerial photography.
- Environmental Impact Assessment - BMT Oceanica will reduce uncertainty surrounding your project’s EIA and approvals pathway, by interpreting and explaining the relevant processes and likely outcomes, and implementing the appropriate program of technical studies. BMT Oceanica has excellent relationships with environmental regulators and a comprehensive understanding of both technical and procedural inputs of EIA and approvals, attained through long-term experience and ongoing professional development of staff. BMT Oceanica has carried out a number of environmental impact assessments for small and large-scale projects interacting with the coastal environment, and have designed effective and efficient monitoring and management programs to suit.
- Coastal surveys - BMT Oceanica’s experienced staff have expertise in coastal processes, geomorphology, marine and coastal geology, hydrology, oceanography and engineering. We have applied our skills to a variety of projects, such as ports, harbours, marinas, coastal structures, boat ramps and jetties, maintenance dredging, sand bypassing and shoreline management.
- Coastal setback - BMT Oceanica is experienced in applying Western Australia’s State Coastal Planning Policy (SPP 2.6) to calculate coastal setback, incorporating storm impacts, historic shoreline changes, future sea level rise and inundation.
- Coastal vulnerability - Inundation and erosion resulting from projected climate change and sea level rise are expected to become major hazards to existing coastal infrastructure and future coastal developments into the future.
- Coastal modelling - BMT Oceanica has in-house capability to undertake simple shoreline modelling of processes such as storm impacts and volume calculations, and maintain a network of collaborators for detailed hydrodynamic and shoreline evolution modelling.
- Spatial sciences - Our team of GIS and remote sensing specialists produce spatially accurate benthic habitat maps using geo-rectified satellite imagery in association with data collected in situ. These techniques have been used to identify broad-scale changes in benthic habitats over time.
- Project management and field operations - The combination of BMT Oceanica's staff expertise, experience and efficient management systems has successfully delivered outstanding project management, data analysis and reporting outcomes across several large scale maintenance and capital dredging projects for numerous customers.
- Data management - BMT Oceanica’s Environmental Data Management Team (EDMT) securely captures, stores, and manages environmental data. We also design and build databases to provide a personalised solution to data storage.
- Environmental audits and compliance assessments - BMT Oceanica has a team of marine scientists who are highly experienced in environmental compliance assessment, including a specialist group of auditors. Our auditors hold internationally recognised qualifications, including RABQSA lead auditor for environmental management systems and SAI Global internal lead auditor for quality management systems. All audits will be undertaken in accordance with ASNZS ISO 19011:2003 Guidelines for Quality and/or Environmental Management Systems Auditing (SASNZ 2003).
Contact BMT Oceanica
Tel: (+618) 6272 0000
Email: BMT Oceanica