The development, operation and maintenance of coastal infrastructure has the potential to impact the marine environment through the potential contamination of water quality, sediment quality and disruption of coastal processes, benthic habitats and public recreation areas. Management and support of port and harbour infrastructure is a core element of BMT Oceanica’s business.
Effective management of port and harbour infrastructure requires expert knowledge of the relevant environmental cause-effect pathways, key environmental receptors and an understanding of the State and National regulatory frameworks and guidelines. Our expert understanding of these processes and government requirements has resulted in the development and implementation of dozens of operational and dredge Environmental Monitoring and Management programs, baseline environmental quality monitoring programs, and operational biomonitoring assessments using sentinel organisms. This has resulted in an impressive portfolio spanning a number of key practice areas relevant to port and harbour operations, maintenance and development.
Relevant services and projects
- Marine environmental monitoring and management - BMT Oceanica has extensive experience in the design and implementation of operational monitoring programs for ports and harbours. We have particular expertise in the design of water and sediment monitoring programs, and subsequent interpretation of results in the context of national and state environmental quality guidelines, standards and trigger values. BMT Oceanica has also provided extensive support to the development of new port infrastructure including proposed ports at Port Hedland, Anketell Point, Cockburn Sound, Oakajee, and Cape Lambert.
- Environmental Impact Assessment - BMT Oceanica reduces uncertainty surrounding EIA and the approvals pathway through our experience with the relevant processes and implementing appropriate programs of technical studies. BMT Oceanica has excellent relationships with environmental regulators and a comprehensive understanding of both technical and procedural inputs of EIA and approvals, attained through long-term experience and ongoing professional development of staff
- Coastal surveys - BMT Oceanica’s experienced staff have expertise in coastal processes, geomorphology, marine and coastal geology, hydrology, oceanography and engineering. We have applied our skills to a variety of projects, such as ports, harbours, marinas, coastal structures, boat ramps and jetties, maintenance dredging, sand bypassing and shoreline management.
- Spatial sciences - Our team of GIS and remote sensing specialists produce spatially accurate benthic habitat maps using geo-rectified satellite imagery in association with data collected in situ (see also Project Management & Field Operations). These techniques have been used to identify broad-scale changes in benthic habitats over time.
- Project management and field operations - The combination of BMT Oceanica's staff expertise, experience and efficient management systems has successfully delivered outstanding project management, data analysis and reporting outcomes across for several projects related to Ports and Harbours for a range of customers.
- Data management - BMT Oceanica’s Environmental Data Management Team (EDMT) securely captures, stores, and manages environmental data. We also design and build databases to provide a personalised solution to data storage.
- Environmental audits and compliance assessments - BMT Oceanica has a team of marine scientists who are highly experienced in environmental compliance assessment, including a specialist group of auditors. Our auditors hold internationally recognised qualifications, including RABQSA lead auditor for environmental management systems and SAI Global internal lead auditor for quality management systems. All audits are undertaken in accordance with ASNZS ISO 19011:2003 Guidelines for Quality and/or Environmental Management Systems Auditing (SASNZ 2003).
- Biostatistics and survey design - At BMT Oceanica, we understand that effective survey design and biostatistical theory are intrinsically linked. From a customer's perspective, biostatistics enable us to advise on the level of sampling effort required to meet regulator needs while from a regulator perspective, biostatistics enable us to provide confidence that the environmental objectives were met and that the program will be capable of detecting ecologically meaningful change.
Contact BMT Oceanica
Tel: (+618) 6272 0000
Email: BMT Oceanica