Expect BMT Oceanica to deliver your project on-time and to the highest standard.
To ensure safe and efficient project execution, BMT Oceanica continually improves and invests in its key management systems (including project management, field operations, data management and health, safety, environment and quality). BMT Oceanica's staff expertise, experience and efficient management systems ensures that our projects are carried out to the highest standard in a cost-effective and timely manner.
BMT Oceanica’s Health Safety Environment and Quality (HSEQ) Management System has been developed to identify and manage risks in the delivery of services provided to our customers. Our HSEQ Management System is compliant with the requirements of AS/NZS 4801:2001, OHSAS 18001:2007, ISO 14001:2004 and ISO 9001:2008 and meets the strict requirements of Chevron Australia Pty Ltd's Contractor Health, Environment and Safety Management (CHESM) system and of Rio Tinto’s Contractor Management System. Our services will be delivered safely and effectively across all of our practice areas, including the oil and gas, and marine resources and mining industries.
BMT Oceanica understands the importance of good management to facilitate the success of a project through the application of effective:
- procedures: formalised procedures for project management, project knowledge control, document filing and resourcing
- systems: commitment to systems development, maintenance and review
- training: ongoing training for technical and administrative staff
- indexing: the use of a project-based document indexing system coupled with a fully-integrated enterprise resource planning software
- team work: collection, analysis and presentation of project data is coordinated through BMT Oceanica’s dedicated Operations and Data Management teams
Our commitment to the timely and effective execution of projects is underpinned by BMT Oceanica’s ISO 9001:2008 accredited HSEQ Management System, which incorporates a HSEQ Policy, HSEQ procedures, safe systems of work and structured HSEQ roles and responsibilities for all staff.. Procedures for quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) of environmental data and report production are a key focus. BMT Oceanica’s HSEQ Management Sysytem is audited (both internally and independently) on a regular basis and continual improvement of our business systems is a core element of the company’s values.
To ensure field work is undertaken effectively, BMT Oceanica has a dedicated operations team, which includes an Operations Manager and Dive Officer. All field trips are coordinated by a dedicated Field Lead who is responsible for the daily field operations. Each of BMT Oceanica’s Field Leads has a strong understanding and experience with BMT Oceanica’s systems and field procedures.
The safety of our divers and field personnel when collecting environmental data is a focal point of BMT Oceanica’s work. BMT Oceanica’s fieldwork is supported by our comprehensive suite of well-maintained field equipment and all diving is undertaken to a minimum of AS/NZS 2299.1:2007. Our ADAS qualified divers are trained to a minimum of AS2815.1 under the supervision of trained onshore supervisors (AS2815.5), with the additional capacity to provide SSBA divers trained to AS2815.2 and AS2815.3 to a depth of 50 m.
Our divers have extensive experience in the design and implementation of underwater surveys in a range of water depths and conditions. Divers have tertiary level scientific training, many with higher-degrees. This results in a commitment to technical excellence in the design, implementation and quality control of underwater scientific surveys.
BMT Oceanica’s divers operate in a range of environments including open coastal waters, estuaries and freshwater and have expertise in the following methods:
- seagrass meadow transplantation and rehabilitation
- seagrass leaf and shoot density measurements
- macroalgae (seaweed) identification and abundance measurements
- coral and macroinvertebrate surveys
- biological surveys using video and/or still imagery, or traditional quadrats and/or transects
- diver-operated laser guided video surveys
- geo-referenced towed video surveys
- sediment coring
BMT Oceanica has pioneered the application of ‘diverless’ underwater methods in nearshore waters with a high level of positional accuracy. These technologies have greatly enhanced our ability to operate underwater for long periods and at depths previously considered unsafe for divers. The use of remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) extends our operational range into higher risk environments, such as the Kimberley or other regions frequented by dangerous marine conditions. Our diverless systems are able to return to fixed monitoring sites to capture high resolution images and install and retrieve data loggers. The application of ROVs to a range of other underwater tasks is being trialled by our Research and Development team.
Georectified towed video
We have developed state-of-the-art towed video equipment for deployment in a range of marine environments. This equipments allows rapid assessments of large areas of marine habitat and the technology has been used to produce georeferenced habitat maps for a range of projects.
Health, safety, environment and quality policy
BMT Oceanica's Health Safety Environment Quality (HSEQ) Management System outlines our commitment to managing health and safety, our environmental footprint, and quality of services and products.
The key elements are:
- Client Focus and Integrity of Advice - We seek to clearly understand each client's needs. We reinforce the importance of meeting these requirements to our employees and suppliers, while ensuring the integrity of our advice.
- Commitment - We are committed to complying with applicable legal and other requirements which relate to BMT Oceanica's activities
- Continued Improvement - We are committed to establishing and reviewing measurable health, safety, environment and quality objectives and targets to ensure continued improvement. BMT Oceanica aims to prevent work-related pollution, eliminate work-related injury and illness, and increase the effectiveness of our HSEQ management system.
- Communication - We actively seek to ensure that employees are involved in the documentation, implementation and maintenance of our HSEQ management system. We have procedures in place to ensure that pertinent HSEQ information is communicated to and from all employees and sub-contractors. Our Health Safety Environment Quality Policy is available on our website.
- Review - Our HSEQ management system is reviewed periodically to ensure that it remains sustainable, relevant and appropriate to BMT Oceanica's activities
Contact BMT Oceanica
Tel: (+618) 6272 0000
Email: BMT Oceanica
BMT Oceanica’s ISO 9001:2008 accreditation
Oceanica’s QMS incorporates a quality policy, quality objectives and quality management procedures.